The history of Shri Shyam originates from the Mahabharata. Bhima was a Pandava prince, whose son Ghatotkacha was the father of Barbarika, hence Barbarika was the grandson of Bhima. Owing to the fabulous chivalry and prowess of Barbarika, Krishna did not want him to participate in the great war. So, he begged of him his head which Barbarika gave him without any hitch but on the condition that he be allowed to witness the war. Krishna set up his head on a hilltop and also blessed him that he would be deified and worshipped in Kaliyuga like him and that his worshippers shall have their wishes fulfilled. Some 975 years ago the wife of Roopsingh Chauhan saw in her dream that deity instructed him to take his image out of the earth.
The indicated place, when dug up, yielded the present idol of Shri ShyamJi, which was enshrined in the temple. That spot is now known as Shyam Kund.
Brief of the Diety:
Religious sect to which the temple belongs: Vaishnava sect.
Important Architectural Characteristics :
Originally the temple was built 975 years ago by Smt. Narmada Kanwar and her husband Shri Roop Singh Chauhan. In Samvat 1777 (1720 A.D.), Diwan Abhaisingh at the behest of the then king of Jodhpur, renovated the old temple. The temple took its present shape at this time and the idol was enshrined in the Sanctum Sanctorum. There is an open chowk before the entrance gate of the temple. A big hall for prayers of the size 40’6″x15’4″ is also there. In the South-East is the temple of GopinathJi. For the management and disposal of temple work, a seven member committee is constituted. The Public Trust of this committee is registered under registration No. 3/86.
|Material of Construction:||
Lime mortar, marble and tiles.
|Total Construction Time:||8 months in building the original temple|